06 July 2007

Elders Banquet




I often describe our ministry here as including serving the needs of the poor and elderly in the community. A specific example is the annual elders banquet that we host for approximately 75 elders in the Darkhan area. Many of these men and women, the mothers and fathers of Mongolia, have few visitors and live in desperate conditions. We love honoring them with a meal and some live music provided by a team from America. They all get dressed up in their best attire, most of whom wear the traditional Mongolian "dell" outfit.

This year I was so blessed to attend the banquet, especially when I ran into a 72-year-old lady named Dolgorjav (pictured). Two years ago, I visited her home to deliver some food and check on her needs (also pictured). Our little team probably spent no more than 20 minutes in her one-room cardboard shack. Amazingly, when I saw her this week at the banquet, two years later, she remembered me. And because that visit made such an impact on me in 2005, I remembered her too.

All the elders at the banquet were so thrilled to be there, and several of the women left singing! What a privelege to serve those in need and be blessed in return.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this truly gives new meaning to "Big Small World!!" How neat that she remembered you-- and to know that you're having and have already had such an impact in people's lives. Great pics!!

Ulovebeth said...

Does that say "Texas" in the back of the picture?

thanks so much for sharing and be a servant!
I'm so proud of you!

susannah said...

That place is called the Texas Pub, but trust me when I say there is nothing Texan about the food, despite them naming some of the dishes "barbeque." Ha.