26 June 2007

Cold shower or no shower?

Mongolia has many proud traditions and several major holidays. Each year during July, Mongolians celebrate a 3-day festival called Naadam, where the "three manly sports" are exhibited: wrestling, archery and horseracing. I'm personally looking forward to it since I've never been in the country during Naadam before.

Currently I am "celebrating" a lesser known but significant 3-day annual tradition in June, the Mongolian hot water shutdown. Well, that's what I call it, anyway. Each summer the entire hot water supply in the city of Darkhan is completely shut off. I am told that this is so that maintenance can be performed on the pipes to clean out sediment buildup in order to be prepared for the winter. The cold water from the taps is frigid - and I'm not exaggerating - the toilet tank has a continual sweat on the outside because it's like ice water inside. So, taking a cold shower is like standing under ice water.

Faced with this predicament, you start to ask yourself questions like, "Is my hair really all that dirty? Surely no one will notice if I skip a couple days? How many pots do I have to boil water at the same time?" The first time I experienced this, I was a bit shocked. Now, I'm just somewhat amused. I fill up my big thermos with hot water and do the best sponge bath I can come up with. By Wednesday night at 8pm, when the hot water returns, all of Darkhan will be rejoicing in the shower.

Which option would you choose?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEFINITELY would be performing the "smell test" more frequently, if the only other option were standing in an icy shower.

Anonymous said...

Obviously with my extensive Army experience, the no-shower option doesn't even make me blink an eye, LOL. What an experience, though!!

Erin said...

No shower, for sure. Did you pack your Bath & Body Works spray? :-)

Anonymous said...

For sure go cold. you'll warm up in in less than 20 minutes. That is far better than sniffing yourself all day in front of strangers.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Caroline...smell test in the morning. I can always Febreeze myself. :)

Todd Richards said...

I would have to go with no shower. It would make the Wednesday night shower so much better, I think.