21 September 2008

My Ike story

For the second time in my life, I was out of the country during a domestic crisis (I was in Honduras on 9/11). When Hurrican Ike hit home, I was in the Caribbean, in the country of Trinidad & Tobago. I had been there the week prior to the storm on a business trip, but ended up staying a couple extra days thanks to Mr. Ike and the closure of the Houston airport.

Although I was distracted by the events at home, I wanted to take advantage of my first Caribbean destination, so I toured around each island a little. Click here to see a few photos. I thoroughly enjoyed the locally famous shark sandwich, called "bake and shark," as well as "sea grapes" right off the trees on Tobago's beach. My driver and tour guide in Tobago, Clifford, was so friendly and gave me an informative tour of his little island in his Japanese SUV. This car spoke Japanese to him, but Clifford doesn't understand Japanese. It was awesome.


I stayed in one of the nicest hotels I've ever seen, the Hyatt Regency in Port of Spain. It was brand new, and very contemporary. My shower was a frosted glass cube in the middle of my room. The outdoor pool on the 4th floor overlooked the ocean. I actually felt a little guilty being there while devastation was being wreaked back home! My overall impression of T&T was that it's very beautiful, but a little expensive and longer travel than some of the other touristy Caribbean islands. Not sure it would be top of my list to return to as a tourist.

No comments: