15 November 2007

Roma

Time for another "kid post!" I know I'm not supposed to have favorites, but it's hard. Anyone who has visited us with mission teams knows that there is always one kid that leaves a special mark. For me, that kid is Roma.


I first met Roma in 2004, when he was 15 years old. He and his younger brother Igor are half Mongolian, half Russian. They both came to our organization in 2000, after living together on the streets. Their Mongolian father died, and their Russian mother became an alcoholic, selling everything they owned (including their apartment) to buy alcohol. Roma and Igor were left to fend for themselves at a young age. Jerry saw them one day digging through trash, and brought them to our organization.

I was able to connect with Roma instantly because he knew a little English. Now, he's 18 and able to do basic translation with our teams in the summer. He is one of the most impressive kids I've ever met - 100% genuine, eager to learn, a devoted Christian, compassionate with the other children, willing to do anything you ask, etc. To me, he represents the bright future of Mongolia. And, the fruit of what our organization is trying to accomplish - caring for and raising helpless children to become successful, loving people.

Here's Roma back in 2004, a day in the summer when we all went to the park to play. He's always smiling - I've really never seen him in a bad mood. I'm pleased he's traded that camouflage hat for maroon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wayne and I enjoy reading about your life and work in Mongolia. I look forward to each new update. Thank you for all that you are doing! Have a great Thanksgiving! You are truly amazing - we are so proud of you!
- Susan Tencer