18 December 2007

Christmas is for Mongolian kids too!


This week I have had one of the best times of my life. I've always loved gift-giving, but celebrating Christmas with our orphan kids has given me great joy. My good friend Justin agreed to play Santa, and he was a major hit. As it turns out, "Ho, ho, ho" needs no translation. On Monday and Tuesday nights, I visited the kids and read them the Night Before Christmas story. They asked me questions about Santa, and then Santa Justin knocked on the door and surprised them. You should have seen the amazement in their eyes. There was Santa, right after I told them the story!


Santa Justin delivered small gifts to each child, plus a small chocolate. Every time he said "Ho, ho, ho, Merry Christmas!" and patted his belly, they laughed. And they all wanted to have their picture taken with Santa.

Our kids know the true meaning of Christmas. They know it's really about the birth of the Savior Jesus. But every kid loves Santa, and I wanted them to experience that excitement. The younger ones will all be singing Christmas carols in church on Sunday. In the meantime, there will be lots of drawing in new notebooks, matchbox car races, and superhero action figure battles.

3 comments:

Amanda C. said...

I love that "Ho Ho Ho" needs no translation!! The kids look like they are just loving it!

Dan said...

Hey, Susannah. I thought I'd catch up a bit on your recent blogs this morning. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time in Mongolia and I wish you and your "Mongolian family" a very Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susannah,

Thank you so much for sharing this entry, as well as the pictures of the children. I must confess that I haven't been feeling the Christmas spirit this year. The weather is just too hot to think about it, I guess. After reading your story, though, I'm feeling more in the spirit. I'm so glad for that. Thank you, and Merry Christmas.