11 December 2007

Frosty the Tomato

Tonight I visited our young girls' apartment, as I normally do on Tuesday nights. Four nights each week, I spend an hour with our kids teaching them English and enjoying their company. Christmas is growing in popularity in Mongolia, and our kids have shown a tremendous interest in learning more about it. They are even learning traditional Christmas carols to sing in church (translated into Mongolian, of course). I arrived at their home tonight armed with an old Frosty the Snowman book and my iPod+speakers, with Harry Connick's version of the old tune. With the help of my translator, I read them the story, and then played them the song. They absolutely loved it. The girls are eager to pick up new songs and more English. Some have better English abilities than others, and tonight one of them struggled to repeat the word "snowman," instead it inexplicably came out "tomato." So as I started the song for a second time at their request, she mumbled something like "Frosty the Tomato." I giggled quietly and discreetly, but there was no way NOT to giggle. They are such a blast.

1 comment:

Amanda C. said...

So I wonder if the Mongolian words for "snowman" and "tomato" sound alike? Have you learned enough Mongolian yet to know? :)